Saturday, April 2, 2016

"Seasons"

"Seasons"
(Taken at an angle to show the varied sheens)
16" X 20"
Acrylics and Mixed media
on Canvas
Recently I had the pleasure of being gifted trial sizes 
of 
Liquitex products.
among these were two trial sizes of
spray paint.
so, of course I had to try them.
I had begun a canvas with tree trunks , 
intending to let my imagination run with whatever happened.
What better than Leaves?

This was the Partially finished canvas I started with.
Birch tree trunks atop Gold and Copper Metal leaf.
Obviously, this was not anywhere complete,
and
for some reason I just didn't tune into what I had.
Stuff was sorely missing on this canvas.

 So, I grabbed one of my Stencils and started out with the Gold paint
then added leaves of Silver on top of  them.
and the shape and form began.
I notice that I had left a serious gap in the middle of the canvas
So I added more Gold & Silver leaves in the middle,
toned down some more  of the Metallic paint
by washing the canvas with a very light leaf green
and scrubbed it off,
I then faded some of the leaves in and out.
The Seasons of the year fade in and out with grace.
and so do the leaves on the trees.
I wanted the leaves to look like some were emerging and some were fading away.
and ended up with this;
I like the Liquetex Metallic sprays, you can paint Acrylics over them.
(Something that is next to impossible with other Metallic Spray paint.)
I will always hold the actual  Gold and Silver Leaf dear to my heart.
I love working with leaf.
That said, the effects of these sprays is great!
They are almost too bright (Shiny) for my liking, 
but that can always be toned down 
with an overlay of acrylic wash or paint.
I hope you enjoy this painting
and how it came about.
It was fun experimenting with new products.
~~Kathleen

No comments: